This post will provide the directions for the alternative science job. Your assignment will be focused on cells and organisms. You'll have about three class periods to complete this task.
1. Start by working through this fun-damental. Complete both sections. (What are Cells? and Your Body's Cells.)
2. Create a blog post on your blog. Title it: Cells and Organisms. Write a paragraph that explains what you learned in the fun-damental. Answer the following questions in your post.
- What is a cell?
- Do you think a worm has cells? What about a candy worm?
- What do all living things have in common?
- Why do you think larger organisms need more cells instead of just bigger cells?
- Name two organisms that are made of only one cell.
- Name two organisms that are made of many cells.
- Bacteria are very tiny, very simple forms of life. Do you think a bacterium is made of only one cell or of many cells? Explain.
- Why does your body need different types of cells?
- What is tissue?
- What are examples of different cell types and tissues in plants?
3. Complete this exploration. In your blog post, write a second paragraph which answers the following questions.
- Why are blood cells so far apart, while skin cells are grouped closely together?
- Is Euglena more similar to a muscle cell or a leaf cell? Why?
- If you looked at cells from the trunk of a tree, which of the cells you observed would probably look most similar? Why?
- Explain what each of the following cells do: Root Cells, Stem Cells, Leaf Cells, Skin Cells, Blood Cells, Muscle Cells, Amoeba, Euglena.
4. Complete this exploration. Write a third paragraph on your blog post which answers the following questions.
- Why does bone tissue have a hard outer structure?
- Describe how the tissues in leaves and the stem work together to help a plant survive
- Compare and contrast the information you learned about humans and plants in this exploration.
5. Check in with a teacher when you've finished these directions.